3.2 Barnardo’s / NCC Edge of Care service: New Directions
The Barnardo’s / NCC Edge of Care service went live on 5 June 2017.
The Edge of Care service, New Direction has two primary aims, to support more children to remain at home with their families, (thereby preventing admission into care) and to support children who are already looked after to return home, where it is an agreed part of their care plan. The new service is being co-designed with staff and families and young people, so as to ensure the service development builds on existing strengths and addresses any gaps.
The service is being built upon the following key principles:
1. A whole family approach
2. Intensive planned interventions
3. Reduction in number of professionals around the family,
4. Robust approach to support children to stay in the family,
5. Faster permanency
6. Better supported and planned reunification where required.
Referral Procedures for “New Directions”, Edge of Care service
As of 5 June the referral arrangements for children and young people who are at risk of becoming looked after will be as follows:
1. Referral to the service will be made using the referral forms, which will be filled in by the allocated Social Worker, approved by the Team Manager and Head of Service and forwarded to the existing CCAS email box.
2. The referral will be considered at the combined ATC/CCAS panel which meets on a weekly basis.
3. The panel will make the decision about the most appropriate outcome for that referral and that could include onward referral to the New Directions service. Equally, the panel could direct the case to different (and possibly more appropriate) resources.
4. In circumstances where a more urgent need for provision arises during office hours, an approach can be made with the permission of your Head of Social Work by the Team Manager to the Head of Social Work Resources who may be able to assist.
5. There will be no direct referral into the new service.
The longer term intention is that referrals will go through one of the 3 locality based panels when they are set up in September.